Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

The Power of Twitter

Today, 28 days have passed since my first tweet. With February having 28 days, I'll call it my first month. I started tweeting to fill a void with the announcement of the SL forums closing for the implementation of a new platform. I wasn't sure what to expect having never participated in a twitter style medium. I set my goals for a month of exploring and went to work; culminating with my experiment yesterday.

Now that the month is over, all I can say is WOW! Using Twitter has exceeded all of my expectations. In retrospect I almost feel as though I cheated myself by setting my goals too low. I really didn't know what to expect starting from zero. No tweets, no followers, just a blank page and the motivation to give it my best shot.

No, I'm not going to bore you with countless numbered charts to decipher, only one image of a chart. Yesterday, the last day of my first month, I posted a single tweet with a link to a blog post. No other mention by me was made anywhere. I wanted to see what would happen after 24 hours.

This image is roughly 25 hours after my tweet.




I'll let you, the reader, decide what this image means. I know what it represents for me. What I will say is that I didn't do it alone, which was the focal point of the experiment. In fact, I did next to nothing. I created a blog post, linked it to a single tweet and took 24 hours off.

I can't tell you how stunned I was when I returned from my weekend rendezvous, so I believe some thanks are in order.

Huge thanks to:

Darrius Gothly: @dgp4sl His blog link to my blog accounted for almost 30% of the traffic that visited my blog.

Mistletoe Ethaniel@m_ethaniel  Her listing and Tweet for her online publication accounted for nearly 10% of the traffic that visited my blog.

Slinky Retweets: @SLinkyRetweet  for retweeting my original tweet.

Kabalyero Kidd: @kabalyero for retweeting by Mistletoe's original tweet.

I should, to be fair, give a church clap and 2 kudos to two of my biggest detractors and their networking capabilities for adding 10 views.

I haven't read the fallout from my single tweet yet but I imagine it had a little impact on a few people's day. 

I won't be posting to the SL Forums until two Community Managers clean up their acts and stop their discriminatory practices. (more on that in future blog posts)  Maybe in April, who knows.

Twitter, it works!